Local Chapter Officers
Examples of the basic duties and responsibilities of local chapter officers on the local chapter's Board are provided below:
All Board Members:
- Agree to serve for the time of their appointment, if possible.
- Attend the majority of board meetings and contribute ideas to benefit the local chapter.
- Serve as a chairperson or coordinator on a local chapter committee if requested by the President.
- Participate in projects of the local chapter if requested by the President. Note: The Immediate Past President may serve as an advisor to the board because of his/her past experience with the local chapter.
- The President should be familiar with the local chapter's BYLAWS and should have a basic understanding of parliamentary procedure. However, it is important to be tactful and use "common sense," especially with small groups and when Board members are not familiar with parliamentary procedure.
- Other potential duties and responsibilities of the President may include:
- Assist board members in the planning and scheduling of chapter meetings.
- Coordinate correspondence with the local chapter secretary.
- Consistently comply with local chapter BYLAWS.
- Coordinate the formulation of a proposed annual budget.
- Coordinate the development of short and long-term goals and the plans to attain them.
The Vice President:
- Assist the President with his/her responsibilities when requested to do so.
- Act as chairperson, coordinator, or advisor on committees as appointed by the President.
- Write appreciation letters to speakers, those organizing meetings, and the representatives of facilities that sponsor meetings.
- Assure the BYLAW amendments and/or additions are recorded in the BYLAWS.
- Maintain each member's activity record.
- Send a welcoming letter and membership certificate to new members and maintain a record of certificates distributed.
- Gather information from surveys and studies and develop this input into a report form.
- Maintain a balanced checkbook and proof of receipts, bills, bank statements, and other financial records.
- Assure that paid members have a current membership card.
- Prepare renewal notices to be sent to members.
- Submit records to auidtors as directed by the local chapter's Board.
- Develop reports of receipts, advertisements, assets, liabilities, and cash balances.