The Importance of Certification
Patients rarely meet Central Service (CS) professionals, but they rely on them just the same. They count on technicians for clean, sterile, well-functioning instruments. They count on them to follow best practices and stay ahead of the technology curve.
Certification helps meet these expectations and ensures that CS professionals possess the essential knowledge and skills necessary for managing critical departmental duties safely, effectively and consistently. What's more, the ongoing education required for CS professionals to maintain their certification status helps ensure that these professionals stay on top of ever-evolving instrumentation, technology, standards and best practices to keep CS departments functioning at peak performance.
IAHCSMM began formal certification of CS technicians in 1971 to provide a mechanism for individuals to be recognized as having the necessary competence to perform their duties as Central Service professionals.
IAHCSMM Offers Five Certifications
- Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST): The accredited introductory certification for CS Professionals
- Certified Endoscope Reprocessor (CER): A new certification, focusing on endoscope reprocessing
- Certified Instrument Specialist (CIS): A secondary certification focusing on medical instrumentation
- Certified Healthcare Leader (CHL): A secondary certification for CS Management
- Certified Central Service Vendor Partner (CCSVP): A certification specifically for CS Vendors
The current version of the CRCST exam is available until Aug 31, 2018.
A discounted pilot for the updated exam will be available from Sept 1-15, 2018.
Following the pilot, there will be a CRCST testing blackout from Sept 16 - Oct 21, and then regular testing will resume on Oct 22, 2018.
IAHCSMM Certification Program Benefits
- Gain practical skills you can use on the job
IAHCSMM certification programs focus on the knowledge and skills needed to perform real-world job responsibilities
- Become more effective
When you make professional certification part of your personal training program, you acquire the skills you need to stay current
- Build your supervisory skills
Increase your personal effectiveness in general healthcare management and improve your key leadership skills