Educator of the Year Award
Individuals may nominate themselves or someone else for this award.
This award was established in honor of Dr. Bertha Litsky, an environmental microbiologist, researcher and educator at the University of Massachusetts. Her passion, commitment and dedication to her profession propelled her to the status of an international legend and pioneer in healthcare infection control. Dr. Litsky was a consultant throughout the world to many hospitals, food service entities, manufacturers and suppliers of medical devices. Her expertise and contributions helped establish many principles and standards of practice relative to infection control, reprocessing, packaging and sterilization. Her wit and humor allowed her to deliver lectures and messages in a manner that empowered and uplifted her students. The closing words of all her lectures, delivered with the loud BANG of a starter pistol, still resonate throughout the CS profession: “An unsterile item used in surgery is as dangerous as a loaded gun.”
Nominees will be evaluated on a narrative description of their contributions to CS education, as well as any supporting documentation that highlights the education and its results.
The recipient of this award will be recognized during the 2019 Annual Conference and Expo, and will receive an engraved plaque and a monetary award in the amount of $1,000.
- Nominee has been an active member of IAHCSMM in good standing for at least one year
- Typewritten narrative explaining why the nominee should receive this award. The narrative must include a detailed list and overview of educational contributions in at least five of the following categories:
- Provided an IAHCSMM CE-approved presentation at a national conference;
- Provided an IAHCSMM CE-approved presentation at a local/regional conference;
- Published an article in a national publication;
- Published an article in a local publication;
- Taught a CS-related training course;
- Taught a healthcare facility inservice;
- Involved in other CS-related educational projects.
- If this is a self-nomination, the nominee's curriculum vitae/resume is also required. If you are nominating another individual, you may provide an outline of their professional accomplishments instead.
Educator of the Year Award Nomination Form
To begin the application process, either Click Here to download the PDF Application or use the online form below.