How to Form a Local Chapter
For a complete Local Chapter Guidelines Handbook please contact IAHCSMM Headquarters
All IAHCSMM Constituent Chapters act autonomously. They are responsible for providing programs of regional interest, collecting local dues and handling all business relevant to the Chapter. Programs may take the form of educational, commercial or social as warranted by the local chapter program committee. Once a chapter is formally accepted, one active member shall be appointed to serve on the IAHCSMM Board of Directors as a voting member. A Board meeting will be held each year in conjunction with the Annual meeting. In addition, periodic Board of Directors meetings may take place via conference calls.
Complete the New Chapter Application and submit to:
International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management
213 W. Institute Place
Chicago, IL 60610
The application will require the following information:
- Proposed name of your Chapter.
- List of Officers: List name and titles of Chapter officers. Elected officers of constituent chapters must be active members of IAHCSMM.
- List of Members: A newly organized chapter should have at least four (4) members who are in a hospital central service materiel management department and are active members of IAHCSMM.
- Bylaws: All local chapters must have bylaws consistent with those of the International Association. Local Chapters may write into their bylaws criteria pertinent to their respective chapters. (See Below for Suggested Local Chapter Bylaws)
Your Chapter submission will be reviewed and approved at the next Executive Board meeting. If the Chapter is approved you will receive provisional status until the Annual meeting.
The Board of Directors vote to approve new chapters at the yearly annual meeting. At this time, your chapter will become a full constituent chapter. To continue affiliation with IAHCSMM, Chapters must complete an annual Chapter Recharter.
The Name of this chapter shall
be ____________________ of ___________________ (city, state or region).
The objectives of this chapter are: (sample only)
- To pool the knowledge and experience of members for the purpose of providing the best service possible to all departments of the hospital.
- To discuss and attempt to solve problems submitted by fellow members.
- To stimulate interest through presentation of new techniques and products.
Membership shall consist of individuals, irrespective of professional status, who are employed in a central service department.
- The officers of this chapter shall consist of a President, President-Elect, Secretary and Treasurer who are active members in good standing of the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management.
- The officers shall be elected at the (month) meeting for a term of two years. The President and Secretary shall be elected one year, the President-Elect and Treasurer the following year.
- The President shall
- preside at all meetings
- have the power to appoint any special committee
- be an ex officio member of all committees except the Nominating Committee
- appoint the chairman of each standing committee
- appoint the tellers of the annual election
- assume or appoint an active IAHCSMM member to represent the chapter on lAHCSMM's Board of Directors.
- The President-Elect shall
- assume all duties of the President when the President is absent
- become the President in case of a vacancy in the office
- The Secretary shall
- keep minutes of all meetings of the chapter
- preserve all letters and transactions of the organization
- notify all members of the time and place of the meetings, two weeks prior to the meetings
- The Treasurer shall
- receive all dues, have charge of all funds of the chapter
- notify members of delinquent dues
The Executive Board shall consist of the officers of this chapter and the immediate past President. The Executive Board shall meet at the call of the President, who shall give notice at least 10 days before the meeting.
- Special meetings may be called by the President or by the Executive Board, or at the written request of twelve members of this chapter.
- Order of business at any regular meeting shall
- Call to order
- Minutes of previous meeting
- Report of President
- Report of Treasurer
- Report of Standing Committees
- Unfinished business
- Next meeting
- he annual dues shall be (amount payable as directed by the chapter)
- Members failing to pay dues by (month, date) shall be notified, and those not paying after (date recognized by chapter) will be removed from the chapter list of members
- A reinstated member will not be eligible to vote for sixty days
- The President shall appoint the following committees
- The Program Committee shall arrange the program for each meeting.
- The Nominating Committee shall prepare a slate consisting of two names for each office and present it at the (month) meeting. All nominees will have consented to serve.
- The Bylaws Committee shall present all proposed revisions to each active member of the chapter at least thirty days before the annual meeting. A majority vote of those present and voting will constitute acceptance of the proposed revision.
- The Membership Committee shall review and recommend standards, practices, and procedures for membership in the association.
Nomination and Elections
Election of officers will be held annually at the (month) meeting. Voting will be by written ballot.
A majority will elect.
The fiscal year of the chapter shall be from (month, date).
Roberts' Rule of Order, Revised, shall be the authority at all meetings of this chapter.